Belgium Visa Application Requirements:
The Western European country of Belgium, officially known as the Kingdom of Belgium, is home to 11,420,163 residents. Its capital, Brussels, is among the largest and the most densely populated Belgian cities.In this articleDifferent parts of today’s Belgium have been ruled by the Dutch, Spanish, French, Austrian, which have left behind a rich history and architecture. The country is distinguished by its canals, cobbled streets and medieval buildings.Some of the favorite tourism attractions in Europe are located in Belgium, as the spectacularly beautiful medieval city of Antwerp, the Archaeological Museum of Arlon, the Flemish béguinages, the fairytale-like ancient city of Bruges crisscrossed by canals, and much more.In 1995, the government of Belgium signed the Schengen Agreement, thus joining the European border free area. Today, short-stay entry to Belgium also enables one to travel to the rest of the Schengen member states as well, which includes a great share of Europe.In 2017 alone, the Belgian embassies around the world received 231,437 short-stay visa applications to Belgium.
Belgium Entry Requirements:
If you reach Belgium through air, upon arrival at the Belgian airport you will have to present some travel and identification documents to the Belgian border officer. These documents are as follows:
- A valid passport or travel document. Valid for at least three more months beyond the date you plan to leave Belgium (and the Schengen Zone), issued within the last 10 years.*
- A visa – if you are subject to Belgian visa regime.
*British passport holders are exempt from the criteria of passport validity and issuance date.
You may also be asked for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter by a Belgian host, proof of lodging or a round-trip ticket. For more information in this regard, contact the local consular services of Belgium in your home country.
These documents will be checked by the Belgian border official, who may ask you a few questions about your trip to Belgium like:
- What is your purpose of visiting Belgium?
- How long do you intend to stay in Belgium?
- Where are you going to stay in Belgium? Etc.
Where to Apply for a Belgium Visa?
Depending on how the Belgian authorities have regulated visa submission and processing in your country of residence, you will have to apply for a short-stay visa to Belgium at one of the following:
- The Belgian Embassy in your country of residence
- One of the Belgian consulates
- A Visa Application Center to which Belgium has outsourced visa submission
- The Embassy / Consulate of another Schengen country to which Belgium has outsourced visa submission
What Type of Visa Do I Need to Enter Belgium?
If you are planning to visit Belgium for a short-term trip, you will have to apply for a Schengen Visa to Belgium. According to the purpose of your visit to Belgium, you can get one of the following Schengen visa types:
- Belgium Airport Transit– if you need to transit through one of the Belgian airports, to reach your travel destination country, outside the Schengen Area. Find out if will need a Belgian Airport Transit visa.
- Belgium Tourist Visa – for visitors who wish to spend their vacations in Belgium, or that want to come over for sightseeing and exploring.
- Belgium Visitor Visa – for foreigners who have family members or friends residing in Belgium, and wish to pay them a visit.
- Belgium Business Visa – established for businesspeople that want / need to participate in activities that are related to business, in Belgium.
- Belgium Visa for Official Visit – for delegations traveling to Belgium on official visits.
- Belgium Visa for Medical reasons – per patients that that need to obtain medical care in one of the hospitals or clinics in Belgium
- Belgium Visa for Study Purposes – for those who wish to study at an educational institution in Belgium, for up to three months.
- Belgium Visa for Cultural, Sports and Film Crews – for people wishing to attend an activity in the cultural or sports field, which takes place in Belgium.
What Documents are Required when Applying for a Belgium Schengen Visa?
According to Belgium visa requirements, the following documents must be submitted to the Belgium embassy/consulate when applying for any short-term Belgium visa:
- Belgium visa application form. Fully completed, printed and signed at the end.
- Two identical photos. The photographs should be no older than three months and taken according to the Belgium visa photograph requirements & specifications.
- Your passport. It should contain at least to blank pages in order to be able to affix the Belgium visa sticker. Check the validity of your passport before you apply, since it must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you exit Belgium (Schengen territory). It must be no older than 10 years, as well.
- Copies of your previous visas (if applicable).
- Language Preference Form. Belgian authorities offer to you the opportunity to choose in which of the three national languages of Belgium you wish your application to be treated (French, German or Dutch). On the other hand, if you choose to complete the application in English, please choose “no preference”.
- Schengen Travel Insurance. You are required to submit a document, which confirms that you have purchased travel insurance for Belgium and the whole territory of Schengen, with a minimum €30,000 coverage for medical emergencies, and repatriation in case of death. Learn how to buy travel insurance to meet the Belgium visa requirements.
- A cover letter. In which you explain why you wish to visit Belgium and you give further details on your trip.
- Round-trip Flight Itinerary. Containing the dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Belgium (Schengen area).
- Proof of accommodation. A document that shows where you will stay in Belgium. I.e. Hotel reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Belgium. Find and Book Cheap Hotels in Belgium!
- Proof of civil status. This could be a marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, etc.
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Belgium. According to the Belgian Immigration Office, a traveler has to attest possessing €95 per day if staying in a hotel, and €45 when planning to get accommodated by cheaper means.
Belgium Visa Requirements Based on Your Employment Status:
Additionally, you will need to provide the embassy/consulate with documents that prove you meet Belgium visa requirements based on your employment status:
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from the employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license for Belgium business visa
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Proof of regular income generated by property, for the last 6 months
Belgium Visa Requirements for Minors:
Additional Belgium visa requirements for minors wishing to visit Belgium for short-stays are as following:
- Birth certificate of the minor traveling to Belgium
- Belgium application form signed by both parents.
- Family court order – in cases where only one parent has full custody over the child.
- Certified copies of ID / passport of both parents.
- A notarized parental authorization to travel to Belgium, signed by both parents / guardians if the minor will be travelling alone.
Tourist visa Schengen Visa for Tourists:
1) A valid international passport (the validity of the passport has to exceed the end of the proposed trip by at least three months); + 1 copy of the used pages of the Passport + 1 copy national ID-card + the copy of the used pages of the previous passport (if you have one).
2) 1 visa application form + 1 recent passport photograph.
3) An original invitation letter from a travel agency (with verifiable references in Belgium).
4) Proof of employment and authorization of leave.
5) Ticket reservation.
6) A valid Int. Travel Insurance Document + 1 copy. The amount insured has to be minimum 30.000 EUR (equivalent in PKR) insurance has to cover the whole Schengen territory as well as the whole duration of the sojourn in Schengen territory. If the insurance cannot be obtained in Pakistan, one should obtain insurance from Europe.
7) A hotel reservation for the complete duration of your stay.
8) A detailed tourist program for the stay in Belgium (and/or the Schengen area).
9) Proof of sufficient financial means during the stay:
- Credit card + 1 copy
- Personal salary slips (12 months)
- Personal bank account statements (6 months)
How Long Does It Take to Get a Belgian Visa?
The processing time for a Belgian Schengen visa may take up to 15 days, in a normal situation. In some cases, this period may be extended as following:
- up to 30 days due to the high number of applications the embassy of Belgium is receiving or the sensitivity of your case
- up to 60 days in extraordinary cases, especially when the Belgian embassy has to consult the embassy of one or more Schengen members
That is why you are highly recommended to apply for your Belgian short-stay visa as soon as you can, but no earlier than three months prior to your trip to Belgium.
How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a Belgian Visa?
Belgium Short Term Visa Fees at a Glance
Belgium visa Online Application Procedure:
The visa application forms (short stay and long stay) have to be filled out online and submitted electronically.
for apply Belgium visa online application procedure is as follows:
- Fill out and send the electronic visa application form from this website
- The applicant receives a copy of the visa application form at the email address mentioned in his/her account.
- Please print the form and go to the Visa Application Center you have chosen in your application. Make sure to bring the required supporting documents and the visa & service fees.
- At the visa application center, your picture will be taken live (all applicants) and fingerprints will be taken if required.
- Your visa application will be processed at the Belgian Embassy.
Please note that:
a) The account you have created can be used later for further applications.
b) From this account, you can complete and send different visa application’s forms (for all the members of your family, for example).
c) The visa application form you have created electronically is valid for 30 days. If during that time, you haven’t been at the Visa Application Center to confirm your application, your visa application form will be deleted.