Karimabad ( كريم آباد), formerly known as Baltit, is the capital of Hunza District, in the Gilgit-Baltistan province of Pakistan. The Guardian ranked it as one of the five “Best Tourist Sites” in Pakistan.Karimabad, also called Baltit or Hunza, town in the Northern Areas of the Pakistani-administered portion of the Kashmir region, in the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent. Formerly a small principality under the hereditary ruler known as the Mir of Hunza, it joined with Pakistan in 1947. The town, situated on the west bank of the Hunza River, was a stopping place for travelers descending from the Hindu Kushmountains into the Vale of Kashmir. Surrounded by snowcapped mountain peaks such as the Rakaposhi, vast glaciers such as the Ulter, and deep gorges, Karimabad is accessible by mountain road from Gilgit. Roses, pansies, lilies, zinnias, and cosmos grow wild in the area, as do willow, fir, and poplar trees. Snow leopards, markhors (a type of goat), ibexes, yaks, red-striped foxes, ducks, and Marco Polo sheep also inhabit the region. The local residents use irrigation to grow crops of rice, corn (maize), fruits, and vegetables.
Karimabad, then known as Baltit, was originally under the monarchic rulership of the Mir of Hunza, The Land and karimabad the Baltit Fort was built at that time to function as a palace.The locality was known for its slave trade and as a caravan resting stop. Baltit served as the capital of Hunza valley for over 750 years, until the middle of the 20th century. After Pakistan became an independent country in 1947, the Hunza province controlled by Mir joined Pakistan of its own will.Earlier, the capital had been shifted from Balit to the lower part of the hills to Karimabad where new buildings were erected and it became the new capital. The town has developed into a tourist place, following the development of the Karakoram Highway, with a number of shopping complexes dealing in handicrafts, hotels, restaurants, and travel agencies.Both Baltit Fort and Karimabad village received the World Award of Tourism in 2000 when Indonesia, Australia, India and Britain and other countries competed.
You can do a lot of things in this picturesque valley such as hiking, climbing, canoing.If you prefer to try something more daring, you can swim into the lakes in the sunny days, but remember that the water is cold even in the summer.Fishing is famous profession and hobby in Karimabad. Brown trout and Mahseer are abundance in waters of Kunhar River which flows in the valley.
- Karakoram Air Safari is the scenic air journey offered by PIA
- Mountaineering, trekking and hiking: The area is ideal for mountaineering, trekking and hiking. Permission for mountaineering and trekking for restricted zone is issued by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of Pakistan, Pakistan Sports Complex, Kashmir Highway, Aabpara, Islamabad. Fishing permits are issued by the Fisheries Department at Gilgit and Skardu.
- Fishing at Lakes. Fishing permits are issued by the Fisheries Department.
- Cafe de Hunza,Karim Abad Rd(Near Baltit Fort).
Where to stay:
You will find plenty of offers, depends on the budget or the location you pick. We suggest some places and best hotels in Karimabad that is quite famous for its spectacular view and scenery This village, surrounded by peaks and forests. Many private 5 star hotels in Karimabad ,houses or motels can be found at a reasonable price. Or you can forget all that and sleep a couple of days in a tent, captive in an amazing landscape.
Here we provide a list of Hotels which are the best hotels in Karimabad.
- Karimabad Inn, Zero point Karimabad. Budget hotel
- Mulberry Hotel, Main road Karimanad (between Zero point and the main bazzar of Karimabad).
- Darbar Hotel, Zero point Karimabad. Claims three stars
- Haider Inn (behind Zero Point). Homely feel, ensuite doubles and dorm rooms with hot water. Fantastic set meal at 8PM Rs125. Ali Haider, the owner, is extremely helpful and makes everyone welcome
- Hunza Baltit inn.
- Gulmit Continental Hotel
- Baigs Paradise Guest House
- The lady finger camps
- Hunza Hidden Palace
- Mountain Breeze Hunza
- Minapin Inn Hotel
- Tara Homestay
- Hunza Serena Inn
- Baltit Heritage Inn